[squeak-dev] PositionableStream does too much?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 20:01:05 UTC 2013

It looks like PositionableStream serves both as an introducer of
certain specific functionality - making a stream where you can move
arbitrarily forwards and backwards through a stream - but also has a
bunch of stuff relating to filing in/out chunk-formatted Smalltalk
code. It looks like the entire fileIn/Out category either belongs in a
separate subclass, or at least belongs in the System package, along
with ChangeSets and the other Object Storage code. (I can see an
argument for pulling all

#skipSeparators looks like the only method in that category that has
general utility.

Ideally we'd split the responsibility, but (a) I think separating the
packages is more immediately important and (b) at some point I'd like
to push hard for moving over to Xtreams based work.

Together with this, ReadWriteStream has a fileIn/Out category that
also looks like it belongs with the rest of the file in/out logic, in
System.

What do you think of moving these entire categories (except maybe
#skipSeparators) to System?

frank