Transcripter's proper home (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Collections-dtl.548.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Dec 29 23:01:48 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 10:32:11PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 14 December 2013 20:58, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 09:38:27PM +0100, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> >> But Cuis is Morphic only and does not support MVC, so this is more a rename
> >> than unification...
> >> Cuis Paragraph is not a subclass of DisplayObject for example.
> >>

> > Yes I understand. As with other MVC/Morphic differences, the solution is
> > to let either the current project or the current UI manager handle the
> > differences. In this case it should be the project, because Transcripter
> > is not a part of either the MVC or Morphic user interface. But to figure
> > out how the Morphic parts should, Cuis is the reference.
> >
> > I have it down to three methods that need to be resolved through the
> > current project. I want to see if I can simplify in any more, but in
> > any case I'll post soon.
>
> I confess to causing Dave and everyone else some measure of
> unhappiness in shoving Transcripter around. Thanks, Dave, for
> restoring Transcripter to its original glory AND BETTER, because it
> now works in both Morphic and ST80.

No problem at all from my POV. We ended up fixing a problem that none
of us even knew was a problem, so I am happy with the outcome.

> One small niggle remains. Transcripter's still in the wrong package.
> Where should it live? I'm tempted to say "System" because that's
> currently the home of all the other application-level hook points (the
> AppRegistry subclasses, for instance). I say "tempted" because I do
> tend to rant about the size of System, and how it does too many
> things. However, System does form, at present at least, a reasonable
> point of separation between "core" stuff and "UI" stuff (Morphic,
> ST80).
>
> So, before I put my foot in it again, I'd like to propose that we move
> Transcripter to System because
> * it breaks another strand in the Collections -> System dependency, and
> * System's where all the other "UI and higher" hook points already live.
>
> Yea? Nay?

I have no strong opinions one or or another, just as long as it goes in
some category that makes logical sense. I think that the Transcripter
probably originally went into Collections because it was implemented as
a kind of collection. But if it makes more sense to consider it as part
of System that is fine with me. It is important that the Transcripter be
independent of the UI framework (MVC, Morphic, ...) and putting it in
System is harmless from that point of standpoint, so +1 from me.

Dave