Transcripter's proper home (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Collections-dtl.548.mcz)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 12:32:07 UTC 2013

On 29 December 2013 23:01, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 10:32:11PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> >>

>> > Yes I understand. As with other MVC/Morphic differences, the solution is
>> > to let either the current project or the current UI manager handle the
>> > differences. In this case it should be the project, because Transcripter
>> > is not a part of either the MVC or Morphic user interface. But to figure
>> > out how the Morphic parts should, Cuis is the reference.
>> >
>> > I have it down to three methods that need to be resolved through the
>> > current project. I want to see if I can simplify in any more, but in
>> > any case I'll post soon.
>>
>> I confess to causing Dave and everyone else some measure of
>> unhappiness in shoving Transcripter around. Thanks, Dave, for
>> restoring Transcripter to its original glory AND BETTER, because it
>> now works in both Morphic and ST80.
>
> No problem at all from my POV. We ended up fixing a problem that none
> of us even knew was a problem, so I am happy with the outcome.
>

>> One small niggle remains. Transcripter's still in the wrong package.
>> Where should it live? I'm tempted to say "System" because that's
>> currently the home of all the other application-level hook points (the
>> AppRegistry subclasses, for instance). I say "tempted" because I do
>> tend to rant about the size of System, and how it does too many
>> things. However, System does form, at present at least, a reasonable
>> point of separation between "core" stuff and "UI" stuff (Morphic,
>> ST80).
>>
>> So, before I put my foot in it again, I'd like to propose that we move
>> Transcripter to System because
>> * it breaks another strand in the Collections -> System dependency, and
>> * System's where all the other "UI and higher" hook points already live.
>>
>> Yea? Nay?
>
> I have no strong opinions one or or another, just as long as it goes in
> some category that makes logical sense. I think that the Transcripter
> probably originally went into Collections because it was implemented as
> a kind of collection. But if it makes more sense to consider it as part
> of System that is fine with me. It is important that the Transcripter be
> independent of the UI framework (MVC, Morphic, ...) and putting it in
> System is harmless from that point of standpoint, so +1 from me.

Thanks for the +1, and done! I've put it in "System-Recovery", because
that (sub-)package name suggests what the Transcripter's purpose. I'm
not wedded to the (sub-)package name, so if there's a much better
alternative, I wouldn't complain if someone changed it :).

Only two thin little strands still link Collections to System now:
TextSqkProjectLink >> #actOnClick (references Project), and Text >>
#unembellished (reference Preferences ignoreStyleIfOnlyBold). (I've
started separate threads about these issues.)

frank