[squeak-dev] More on Trunk.

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Dec 30 15:43:12 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 09:43:51AM +0100, Tobias Pape wrote:

> On 30.12.2013, at 00:20, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> >> Ok sorry, It is the same as from my other mail:
> >> 	todays Trunk image (Squeak4.5-13148#712) (NameVersion-Update#CIJob)

> >> Well. here the forgoten [1]:
> >>
> >> http://squeakvm.org/mac/ still gives
> >> ALSO the 4.2.5beta1U as Latest Release?
> >> We should do something about the site then.

> >> Hmp. Ok, I saved once before executing this and apparently, that
> >> was a Cog vm. My fault.
> >>
> >> Could we release a kind-of final Carbon VM (as the 4.2.5beta1U is) that
> >> understands 6405? As in, this is the last CarbonVM built, like ever?
> >> In case of ?no?, nevermind :)
> >
> > We do not have a maintainer for the Carbon VM, and the most recent update
> > for that VM is now quite old. As a result, it does not include support
> > for the more recent 6405 image format.
> >
> > The workaround for Squeak release images is to re-save the final release
> > artifact using an up to date interpreter VM. This has been done for the
> > last couple of Squeak releases, and as long as people like you and Edgar
> > continue to rely on the older Mac VMs, then I think that we should continue
> > that practice.
> >
> > If anyone has the ability and interest to compile a Carbon VM using
> > up to date VMMaker and sources, please speak up either here or on the
> > vm-dev list. There are a number of people (probably including many who
> > do not bother to complain) who would appreciate an update like this.
>
> Well, the Cog-VMs are still Carbon, no?

I'm not sure, I am probably getting mixed up on the Mac terminology here. I
mean to refer to the traditional interpreter VMs on http://www.squeakvm.org/mac/.
The standard interpreter VM can run a range of image formats. However, the
interpreter VM for Mac has not been updated since John McIntosh retired from
his role as Mac VM maintainer, and this is the reason that you encounter a
problem reading the newer 6405 image format when using one of those older VMs.

Dave