[squeak-dev] The Inbox: CommandLine-fbs.3.mcz

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Mon Dec 30 20:04:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 30 December 2013 19:14, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

>>> This allows headless things to report bad things happening, like
>>> dumping syntax error notifications to stdout and exiting.
>>

>> People who use RFB won't like this, because it quits the image on the first
>> error.
>
> Does RFB get used in a _headless_ manner? An alternative would be to

It depends. RFB can be used with -vm-display-null, or one can use xpra and
use -vm-display-x11. We start our images with xpra, but still connect to
them using RFB, because it's more responsive. xpra is still useful,
because it's not safe to press alt+. through RFB, because you can
interrupt the RFB process itself.

> add a new option on which I can switch. Maybe -exec? Then I can add a
> SmalltalkImage >> #isReallyHeadlessAsInHasNoGuiAtAllUnlikeRfb, and
> switch off that. We'd then invoke the image, in a CLI-friendly way, as
>
>    squeak -exec Foo.image the-script.st
>
> Except that you can't just do that, because "Unknown option
> encountered!" and then a dialog pops up asking you to locate the image
> you want to run.

Well, one can replace te ToolSet using a startup script after a successful
startup. Being able to see the stack trace in case of a failure helps a
lot. So I think you should push it to the Trunk.

Levente