[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Tests-fbs.280.mcz

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 23:05:37 UTC 2013

This ties into my question about #ignoreStyleIfOnlyBold in the other thread.

This new dependency Collections has on Tools (!) is due to one single
method, Text>>#askIfAddStyle:req:.

But who are the senders of _that_ method?  The only one is
ClassDescription>>#logMethodSource:forMethodWithNode:inCategory:withStamp:notifying:.

But look at the condition on which it calls askIfAddStyle:req:.  It's
only if the #confirmFirstUseOfStyle is set!  Something which is now
outdated and no longer useful thanks to Shout.

So a better option, to me, would be to eliminate that preference and
then the #askIfAddStyle:req: method entirely.

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 December 2013 21:18, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I thought we said Collections was one of the triad of "Core" classes,
>> along with Kernel and Exceptions.
>
> Yep, at least until it's ripped apart. (Remember, we'd discussed
> moving those parts of Collection that Kernel absolutely requires
> (Kernel itself needs to go on a diet too, after all) into Kernel, and
> keep Collections containing the other generally-useful-but-not-Kernel
> stuff.)
>
>> That means Tools, with all of it's 30+ "Browser" classes and more must
>> be part of that core system too?
>
> :) No, of course not.
>
>> Collections _depending_ on Tools.  Something doesn't seem right here..
>
> Hence "(Eventually this dependency should disappear.)"

Ok, I wasn't sure whether this was a new permanent dependency or just
a temporary one.  I guess you're saying it's a temporary one.