[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Collections-fbs.553.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Dec 31 01:46:24 UTC 2013

On 30-12-2013, at 12:58 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing we've been saying is that a small-kernel of a Smalltalk
> system should be able to expand itself.  So, I'm just wondering
> whether file-in should not be part of Kernel or whether System is
> destined to be part of that small-kernel Smalltalk system..?

I’m not sure that we need to conflate the system category ‘Kernel’ with the idea of the kernel of the system in a deployment or ‘model number’ fashion. I mean, sure, we could do that - but it isn’t a compulsory thing.

It would be perfectly sane to have a kernel category that is (for argument’s sake) object & basic metaclass etc stuff, some collection & numerics, ie barely enough to count as a working language core. But a sensible Kernel Release Squeak artefact would *probably* want to be a bit more than that in order to make something realistically useful.

tim
"How many Outsiders does it take to change a lightbulb?" "Personal questions cost one trillion stars."