[squeak-dev] Preferences ignoreStyleIfOnlyBold

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Tue Dec 31 19:54:31 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cut-and-pasting _should_ be painful, so you will be encouraged to
> write factored code instead.  :)

I do write factored code. I just don't like typing it all out by hand.

> But wait!  If you're using Shout, how will you stop the method from
> being styled as soon as you type the next character?
>
> And, if you're not using Shout then "cut" will be cutting plain text
> anyway..
>
> So, unless I'm missing something, this preference seems so useless its
> crazy.

Yeah, this preference isn't quite right for my purposes. The behaviour I
want is that Shout does syntax highlighting for me, but the text is
otherwise treated as unstyled. If I cut it, the clipboard has unstyled
text, if I paste styled text, the styles are ignored and Shout restyles it
according to syntax. Unstyled text gets stored in the changes file and
Monticello.

The problem I have now is that if I cut Shout-styled text and paste it into
a browser, I get a dialog asking me if I want styled text. The answer is
always no, so I'd rather not be asked about it every time.

Colin