64-bit VMs (was: [squeak-dev] I'm running)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Feb 2 15:43:01 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 02, 2013 at 07:17:35AM -0800, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> Oh cool! Gobbledygook inline.
>
> On Feb 1, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > d) provide new high-quality 64-bit and 32-bit implementations based around a new object representation and garbage collector in the VM and increase the performance of the VM by at least a factor of two (this is my personal focus for 2013).
>
> You talking about the stack VM going 64-bit? If so keep talking. If not, I should do more homework before replying.

I don't know if I am helping or hurting, but FWIW I have been slowly merging
Eliot's oscog work into trunk VMMaker in hopes of getting to the point of being
able to build both stack and interpreter VMs that can be compiled as 32 or 64
bit VMs and that can support 32 and 64 bit object memory. This would be for stack
interpreter only, not Cog, and it remains to be seen if this will be of any real
help for future Cog development. Meanwhile is is helping to keep primitives and
plugins synchronized between the two VMMaker branches.

Dave