[squeak-dev] Filein mechanics

Jeff Gonis jeff.gonis at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 17:14:03 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on getting the Squeak Jenkins server to perform
benchmarking and so far everything is going great except for one thing.
When I try to filein code implementing some benchmarks into a headless VM,
it just hangs. If I filein the same file to a non-headless VM everything
works just fine.

Seeing as how things only blow up when I am running headless, debugging is
made somewhat more complicated.

I was wondering if anyone had some advice on getting better debug
information from a headless VM, besides explicit log statements? I was also
wondering if this sort of problem is ringing any bells for anyone on the
list. I don't really have a good grip on how filein works either, so any
pointers would be greatly appreciated. Would filein be attempting to send
ui messages that are failing? I didn't see any user input requests when I
filed into a normal VM, so I don't think it is waiting on a response. Any
help is appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Jeff