[squeak-dev] releasing and recompilation/clean up

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Feb 11 14:00:58 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-06, at 22:25, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just noticed that TextDomainManager adds properties to methods, and that TextDomainManager  class>>clearAllDomains was broken (now fixed).  Hence when recompiling the system these properties will get lost. [...]
>     b) we have a more informative class comment for TextDomainManager than "I manages mapping from class category to textdomain."  (as in w.t.f. does /that/ mean?)

Translations are stored per package. The GetTextTranslator needs to know in which package to look up the string to be translated when #translated is sent to it at runtime. Figuring out the package given a compiled method is expensive. So once that expensive lookup is done, it's cached in the compiled method's properties.

- Bert -