[squeak-dev] Towards SqueakCore

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Feb 12 19:02:48 UTC 2013

I've never yet been convinced that *un*loading packages as a general technique is a good idea; unload them once to make the small core image and make the packages *load* nicely. Being able to unload seems likely to require tracking what was changed so you can restore it - and not just once but potentially many times with odd combinations for multi layers of loaded packages. I'm not sure it is practical to have a system that avoids any possibility of interactions but I'd certainly be happy to be wrong.

My suspicion is that we will need some very good tools to help make, maintain, test and care for loadable packages. It's so easy for things to slide into cruftulescense.

tim
"How many tnuctip does it take to change a lightbulb?" "Depends what you want them to change it into."