[squeak-dev] Towards SqueakCore

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed Feb 13 07:54:04 UTC 2013

Hey Colin

Am 12.02.2013 um 21:24 schrieb Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com>:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 5:54 AM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Note the big circle from System over ST80 to Morphic and from there via Ballon/Collections
> back to System, or via Monticello/Kernel/Collection back to System.
> Apart from that, note a direct circl (MonticelloMocks<->Tests) but also a small
> indirect circles (System->Environments->Compiler->System).
>
> Yes! We should especially look at System->GetText
>
> One thing that seems odd is that many packages depend on Tests, but very few depend on SUnit. You would think that all those TestCase subclasses would create dependencies on SUnit, not Tests.

The point here is the Transitivity of dependencies and the *BIG* loop via
Tests->Collections->System->ST80->Morphic->Monitcello->ToolBuilder-Kernel->SUnit(->Kernel->Collections)

In the original deps, most of the Packages depending on Tests also directly depend on SUnit.
BUT: ToolBuilder-Kernel also directly depends on SUnit but _not_ on Tests, hence SUnit
“moved” in the part of the circle with Toolbuilder and Kernel.

So Colin, you made me play around again.
I removed the direct dependencies of
	ToolBuilder-Kernel
	Compression
	ST-80
	EToys
on SUnit and got a much cleaner picture now. (deps-simplified-reclustered-colored.pdf)
We got exactly 6 Clusters now and they seem more sensible. I did not manually add clusters
now.

Hope there's insight with this ;)

Best
	-Tobias