[squeak-dev] Re: Towards SqueakCore

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 12:36:09 UTC 2013

On 13 February 2013 11:22, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 05:28:26PM +0000, H. Hirzel wrote:
>> Yanni,
>>
>> I think St??phane refers to the original Pharo manifesto which clearly
>> states "no backward compatibility".  http://code.google.com/p/pharo/
>>
>> However the current Pharo web page has a mission statement
>>    http://www.pharo-project.org/about
>> sets a much more moderate tone.
>>
>> In any case in this thread we want to move on towards a Squeak core
>> and learn from the Pharo experience as much as possible. Please let us
>> not digress from this important topic.
>>
>> Maybe we should follow both at the same time
>>
>> Let me call it
>> - the Pavel Krivanek approach and
>> - the
>>      SmalltalkImage unloadAllKnownPackages
>>   approach
>>
>> BTW
>> #unloadAllKnownPackages
>>
>> used to work in Squeak 4.1, see
>>   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-August/152427.html
>>
>> So there is no reason why we should not manage to get it working again
>> in Squeak 4.5alpha.
>>
>> And Pavel's approach may be followed in parallel. Because fixing one
>> thing will help the other and vice-verse.
>>

> +1
>
> Exactly so. That is what I intended when I mentioned #unloadAllKnownPackages.
> Thanks for stating it so clearly.

While we're being clear about what's clear :) I'm wanting to _lose_
#unloadAllKnownPackages, and replace it with a
#loadAllPackagesThatUnloadAllKnownPackagesUsedToUnload, and add a
bunch of new jobs running those unloaded packages' test suites.

That way, the thing called Squeak4.5-nnnn.image still contains what
Squeak4.5-${whatever_current_is}.image, only the essence of trunk -
what SqueakTrunk produces - shrinks.