[squeak-dev] Towards SqueakCore (adjusting the GetText package)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Feb 13 15:51:58 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-13, at 16:30, "H. Hirzel" <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/13/13, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> On 2013-02-12, at 21:24, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We should especially look at System->GetText
>>
>> IMHO #translated and co. should be part of the System package, because
>> senders are necessarily sprinkled all over the place. There should be a
>> translator registry and if no translator were registered it would return the
>> string untranslated. GetText would hook into that.
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> At the moment the class TextDomainManager is in a specialezed GetText
> package. There is
> GetText-Editor and
> GetText-Localization
>
> There is in addition a package
> System-Localization
>
> which contains classes like ISOLanguageDefinition, InternalTranslator,
> Locale, NaturalLanguageTranslator
>
> Bert, is what you mean done by exchanging
>
> GetText-Editor --> System-GetTextEditor
>
> GetText-Localization --> System-GetTextLocalization

No, we want to keep GetText as a separate package.

> How should the translation registry class be named?

NaturalLanguageTranslator is fine, and it might even do the job (it has the registry), we just haven't tested that. Btw, InternalTranslator is pretty much obsolete, as well as LanguageEditor.

Perhaps it is enough to move just TextDomainManager from GetText-Localization to System-Localization, as well as the #translated* methods that use it.

The goal is to remove the direct dependency on GetText from the rest of the system.

- Bert -