[squeak-dev] New, faster RISC OS Squeak

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Feb 17 17:34:04 UTC 2013

Okay, I got it working:
* if you're new to RISC OS (like me), doing the "super-quick guide" tutorial is essential
* I'll wait while you fumble with the menus and mouse buttons.
* in the web browser go to Tim's squeak page. Since text selection in the URL field does not work in any obvious way, feel free to use the backspace key. A lot.
* on Tim's page, scroll down and click the "version that worked somewhat better" link, then edit "3-9b" into "3-9d" in the URL field, and press return to attempt the download again.
- once the download finished, drag the folder icon from the download window into the SD card window.
- open that new folder and double-click the included image
- if you get that error about StreamMan (which you will on a fresh system) this means it wants you to open the included "sharedsoundbuffer" folder and follow the instructions in its "ReadFirst" file, which will apparently install some modules into the system
- I guess by analogy I should install the "deepkeys" modules, too? Haven't tried that yet.
- the indication of it working is that the whole system freezes for a couple of seconds
- wait patiently, don't double-click again, because that will run yet another copy of the VM
- and there it is! Squeak running. Yay!
- quitting from the world menu gives an error (writing the startup time stamp fails)
- there seams to be no context menu for the Squeak app in the dock bar, unlike other applications which have a Quit menu item there
- quitting using the task manager works. That's the raspberry icon in the lower right. Might be more like killing, though.
- possibly the Squeak folder is still zipped. It has a big Z emblazoned on it.  Which would explain why writes fail. No idea how to do that though.
- command keys like printIt don't work. Perhaps that's what the deepkeys module is for?
- a ReadMe would be nice. Some people actually like to read those :)

But in any case, it does work! Nice :)

Thank you Tim!

- Bert -