[squeak-dev] New, faster RISC OS Squeak

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Feb 17 21:23:39 UTC 2013

On 17-02-2013, at 1:13 PM, Hans-Martin Mosner <hmm at heeg.de> wrote:

> Am 02/17/2013 08:37 PM, schrieb tim Rowledge:
>> In particular, in relation to Scratch, take a look at
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PGLzSx3_eA
>> At about 3:30 he's running Doom. Now, somebody tell me that a PI can't do graphics fast...
>>

> The GPU is ok, but it needs to be accessed properly.

That was Doom under RISC OS; which isn't doing anything clever with the gpu yet so far as I can tell. RISC OS *does* dynamically compile some of the graphics operations (since about 1989) but that is with ARM code.

> Don't know how well the OpenGL stull is supported in RISC OS, in
Not at all as far as I know.

> linux it's accessible but AFAIK there is no proper X11 integration so you need to take over the screen (which is the One
> True Way to do Smalltalk anyway :-) .)

No argument at all with that.  I want to go back to Squeak being the only program running so I can use hardware events for the keyboard etc and get better input responsiveness. Instead of guessing when it might be worth taking a look for an OS input event, let an interrupt tell you. Instead of guessing when it would be good to check for another ST process wanting some tie, let a timer interrupt force it every millisecond or whatever.

tim
A bug in the hand is better than one as yet undetected.