[squeak-dev] New, faster RISC OS Squeak

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Feb 18 15:12:27 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-17, at 22:13, Hans-Martin Mosner <hmm at heeg.de> wrote:

> Am 02/17/2013 08:37 PM, schrieb tim Rowledge:
>> In particular, in relation to Scratch, take a look at
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PGLzSx3_eA
>> At about 3:30 he's running Doom. Now, somebody tell me that a PI can't do graphics fast...
>>

> The GPU is ok, but it needs to be accessed properly. Don't know how well the OpenGL stull is supported in RISC OS, in
> linux it's accessible but AFAIK there is no proper X11 integration so you need to take over the screen (which is the One
> True Way to do Smalltalk anyway :-) .)
> When I find some cycles to burn on the RasPi I'd like to try an OpenGL ES display interface for Squeak. Too many
> projects, too little time...

THis weekend I tried Minecraft on the RPi (http://pi.minecraft.net/). Renders pretty smoothly, and you can "hack" it. Just telnet to port 4711 :) If I find time next weekend I'll do some Squeak bindings (they ship Python and Java ones, and I saw Ruby on the 'net).

Minecraft Pi pretends to run OpenGL in a window. They use the same trick as we do in Squeak: put a 3D overlay on the screen, and move it when the window moves. But you notice the cheating when you try to bring another window in front of it ;)

- Bert -