[squeak-dev] Mantis usage rules du jour

Ron Teitelbaum ron at usmedrec.com
Sat Feb 23 06:01:10 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I hope the reports of Mantis's demise are premature.  There should be a
reporting mechanism but I agree it's difficult if there is no process around
the bug tracking or actual owners.  We used to have specific owners for
portions of the code.  Back to Tim's question, what should the process be?
Do we need to have new owners again?  Should mantis email squeak-dev?
Should mantis email component owners?  Do we need new owners?

I know that when I first got involved with Squeak, Mantis was the perfect
way to get involved.  I would place a bug or submit something and Andreas or
some other component owner would comment back.  There were some really great
bug conversations or code contribution ideas that went on in Mantis.  I
suppose that only works if people that are responsible for portions of the
code interact when something is posted.  If nobody reads it then it's just a
black hole and can be very frustrating.

While conversations about specific topics can happen on Squeak-Dev, it's
just not the same as having the context and decisions documented somewhere
specific like Mantis.

I may have missed some other comments related to bug reporting so please
excuse me if I'm coming to this conversation late.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum