[squeak-dev] Mantis usage rules du jour

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Sat Feb 23 08:33:14 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> No ceremony at all worries me. Call me Captain Slow (cf James May) but I
> like procedures. They're recipes for maintaining sanity over time.

Well, it's not quite "no ceremony," we're aiming for "no more ceremony than
necessary." Here's the description of the way it's supposed to work now:

http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/a-new-community-development-model/

The development of Squeak 3.11 basically ground to halt because of
excessive procedure, and this new model was an attempt to resuscitate it.
It worked!

It's possible that we have swung too far in the other direction, but I
haven't seen anything that makes me think so. Are there specific problems
you want to solve, or is it more of a general unease at the
loosey-goosey-free-for-all?

Colin