[squeak-dev] Mantis usage rules du jour

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 08:42:37 UTC 2013

On 23 February 2013 06:12, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 22-02-2013, at 8:50 PM, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> wrote:
>>
>> The Inbox is meant for changes that need review—either contributions from developers without direct access to the trunk, or from core developers that would like a second set of eyes on the code before it goes into trunk.
>
> I really wish we had enough available eyeballs to review everything. I suggest that the most careful review is required for the sort of changes that 'core developers' produce. If nothing else it is a way to reduce the truck-factor and make sure that things are explained well enough for someone not heavily involved in the original work to be able to understand what is being done.

Fortunately, every commit to Trunk results in a diff being posted
here, so hopefully people do actually read them and post-fact review
them. A few months ago someone did actually have to revert their
changes.

>> So, sure, a Mantis entry is great, but core developers putting stuff in the Inbox ought to be fairly rare. The idea is to keep it easy to contribute, with minimal ceremony.
>
> No ceremony at all worries me. Call me Captain Slow (cf James May) but I like procedures. They're recipes for maintaining sanity over time.

Given that I'm crotchety, in an ideal world we'd _never_ merge
_anything_ without tests covering the proposed change, the tests and
feature in a topic branch, and the branch has zero chance of being
merged unless the thing you get by merging the topic branch into
master passes all tests. Oh, and of course that necessitates a bug
report off which to hang the topic branch. (This is actually how most
of my work work gets done. It's really, reallly nice for all
concerned, and github makes it not even onerous. No, correction.
Github makes it _fun_ to review other's code this way.) But we're not
in an ideal world. One step at a time.

I am a huge fan of bugtrackers and, while Mantis looks like a
throwback to the 90s, it works solidly and quietly, and I intend to
annoy folks by asking them to post to Mantis!

frank