Finding class references (Was Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: SMLoader-fbs.78.mcz)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 15:00:46 UTC 2013

On 26 February 2013 07:21, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> :)
>
> I'm working on an InstallerGitHub that will pull in WebClient as
> needed

So I have something that will happily load chunk-format files:

(Installer github user: 'frankshearar' repository: 'Zippers' commitId:
'master') install

pulls a zipball down from github, unzips it and loads all the *.st
files in that repository.

Except that I neglected to consider the small detail that since
RootContext subclasses ZipperContext, I must first load (the file
containing) ZipperContext before I load (the file containing)
RootContext, since class initialization will otherwise fail.

Which leaves me in a mild pickle. I can either resolve the load order
problem manually - GNU Smalltalk does this, with a package.xml file
containing the load order (among other things), or I can try identify
class names in each file and load the files in a topologically sorted
fashion.

The former is brain-dead but requires people to write a package.xml
file. The latter is perhaps easier to use but rather more difficult to
implement... and possibly fragile.

Thoughts?

frank