[squeak-dev] SqueakCI Benchmarking

Jeff Gonis jeff.gonis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 21:24:07 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Nicolas Cellier
> Just a detail, this is not my code, it's code from various authors
> found on shootout benchmarking site, and ported by Eliot on Squeak.
> I just took care to extract form VMMaker and publish the package on
> its own, because it has its own value.
>
> Otherwise, that's great to see it in action!

Thank you, I appreciate that.  I decided that I'd spent too much time
following open source projects, and not enough time contributing to
them, so I figured this would be a place I could start.

> What will trigger an evaluation, e new published VM?
> Do you plan to support several VM flavours (Cog, Stack, Interpreter)?
> If so, it would be great to compare them.
>
> Nicolas

Right now the benchmarks are run when the "SqueakTrunk" project is run
on the CI server.  I could look at other projects that build the
different VMs and run the benchmarks on those projects as well, but
comparing benchmarks in an inter-project fashion would be more
complicated, just due to the mechanics of the Jenkins performance
plugin.

I will look into creating a new CI project that contains all 3 VMs and
runs the tests on those and then publishes the results under that
project.  I should mention that another hitch is that I haven't found
a convenient way of getting the results onto a single graph, so you
can compare the lines, so it would be 1 graph for each of the VMs.
But that shouldn't be too big of a downside.

Thanks for your feedback!
Jeff