[squeak-dev] SqueakCI Benchmarking

Jeff Gonis jeff.gonis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 23:20:25 UTC 2013

Hi Bert,

>On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>
> Interesting. Why is there already such a large difference between builds #182 and #183? Or are the results simply too noisy? TO be useful they should be fairly consistent.

So I think that at a minimum, I can change the benchmarks to run 3
times each and then kick out the lowest and highest, which should also
allow the JIT in Cog to warm up.  After that I can investigate
additional sources of noise in the results. I will also look at using
the SMark framework to see if that provides more consistency. That
might take longer though.

> Maybe some macro benchmarks would be useful: opening a browser, finding senders, accepting methods, parsing an xml file, etc.
>
> - Bert -

This is a great idea, and along the lines of what I had in mind. I
would also like to do some benchmarks for various Canvas operations to
see if we can get some speedups there, and also to compare against
different implementations, such as Gezira or Athens.

Thanks,
Jeff