[squeak-dev] Bibi, a Scratch port to recent Squeak

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Feb 27 20:05:12 UTC 2013

On 27-02-2013, at 3:35 AM, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) <juanlists at jvuletich.org> wrote:

>>> Cuis 4.1 now opens windows as quickly as Cuis 4.0, i.e. as quickly as
>>> Scratch, and at least 5 times faster than Etoys or Squeak.

It's certainly better on the Pi but browser opening is still not as fast as the Scratch image. On the Pi it is as near instant as makes no practical difference.

Not that 450mSec is disastrous by any stretch of the imagination. What does impress me right now is that it doesn't slow down as I open  a dozen or so browsers. In fact
[12 timesRepeat:[BrowserWindow openBrowser]] timeToRun
reports 5200mSec or an average of 430mS.

Same VM, same machine, Squeak4.4-12327
[Browser openBrowser] takes 1900 mS
[12 timesRepeat:[Browser openBrowser]] timeToRun reports 23200

So Cuis is ~4.5 times faster at this test. Good work!

tim
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.