About HyperCard ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Getting rid of coloured code)

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Thu Feb 28 17:55:34 UTC 2013

I am having too much fun with that image and Morph - thanks Casey and
Hannes (and Ted of course)

> I bet that's exactly it; I think the image is based on an early 3x which is
> well before you introduced closure semantics to the existing
> not-quite-closure blocks.

It is based on a 2007 OLPC image. If I am not mistaken, that is the
image that became Etoys 3.0

I think it isn't quite the Moshi image that the demo card stack was
intended for, but it mostly works well in an interpreter VM.

Ideally the image would have a parts bin containing back and forward
buttons, but I was able to copy ThreePhaseButtonMorphs from another
substack to make my own stack.

I love the script browser, and the reusable message list browser
(which reminds me of Amber and Newspeak browsers). (Are there any
reusable browsers in Squeak 4.4 ?) I also love the cmd-f cmd-g search
through the text in the stack.

There is too much meta programming behind it for me to quickly grok. I
couldn't see how the page turning buttons worked, as it seemed to that
the #previousPage:mouseUp: method was the card's event handling script
for the page turning button, but it didn't contain any code, just a
comment, yet the button worked. I know that in Smalltalk "everything
happens somewhere else" but this time I couldn't find the 'somewhere
else'. Could someone explain it for me?

I think this could be the basis of a nicer way to have a high ceiling
scripting environment than the 'show as script' button in Etoys, but I
wait to see what else VPRI has up its collective sleeve :)

Have fun! David