[squeak-dev] Reusable browsers was Re: About HyperCard

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Thu Feb 28 19:15:55 UTC 2013

Frank Shearar wrote:

> What does "reusable" mean here? If you mean that navigating to
> something doesn't spawn a whole new window, then we _sometimes_ have
> reusable browsers. For instance, in a Browser, selecting a class name
> and pressing <alt>-<shift>-b will, within the same Browser, jump to
> the new class.

Yes - I mean "don't spawn a new window". I wasn't aware of that hotkey.

Other nice features of the message list in Moshi are forward and back
buttons, a browseable history, and a 'reusable' toggle button, to make
it spawn a new message list without learning a hot key. (It is the
forward and back buttons I recognise from Newspeak and Amber.)

Thanks Herbert and Frank for explaining how to uncover the features
for class and message implementor.

Herbert wrote:
> to get this behaviour the Preference "trace messages" needs to be
> enabled. checking... Right now this only works for implementors,

I set the preference and still get a new message list for each
implementor I select (trunk 4.5  #12400) when I click the implementors
button - but the list _is_  reused on cmd-m. A win for the keyboard.
Thanks again.

Have fun! David