[squeak-dev] Building Cog?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jan 1 19:14:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 04:58:47PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I'm trying to do is have SqueakTrunkOnBleedingEdgeCog test the latest
> Cog by running all of trunk's tests on it.
>
> How could I coax the CogVM job into producing a compiled thing as well
> as the a source tarball? Would zipping up the ${BASEDIR}/tmp/
> directory be sufficient?

Hi Frank,

Actually I think it's already doing what you want. I set up the
configuration parameters and build script so that the compiled Cog VM
gets installed in /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/CogVM/tmp, which is a
local directory in the workspace for the CogVM job. The next time
the job runs, the makevm script looks for the executable script
/var/lib/jenkins/workspace/CogVM/tmp/squeak and uses this as the
VM. This way the CogVM is eating its own dog food by using the last
successfully built "bleeding edge" version each time it runs.

I think you can do something similar for your SqueakTrunkOnBleedingEdgeCog
by having it use /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/CogVM/tmp/squeak as its VM.

Files are at http://squeakci.org/job/CogVM. The compiled Cog VM from
most recent successful build is in http://squeakci.org/job/CogVM/ws/tmp.
The shell script that uses this VM is http://squeakci.org/job/CogVM/ws/makevm.

Let me know if you want me to start saving the temporary VM in some other location.

Dave