[squeak-dev] Building Cog?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 20:04:40 UTC 2013

On 1 January 2013 19:14, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 04:58:47PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> I'm trying to do is have SqueakTrunkOnBleedingEdgeCog test the latest
>> Cog by running all of trunk's tests on it.
>>
>> How could I coax the CogVM job into producing a compiled thing as well
>> as the a source tarball? Would zipping up the ${BASEDIR}/tmp/
>> directory be sufficient?
>
> Hi Frank,
>
> Actually I think it's already doing what you want. I set up the
> configuration parameters and build script so that the compiled Cog VM
> gets installed in /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/CogVM/tmp, which is a
> local directory in the workspace for the CogVM job. The next time
> the job runs, the makevm script looks for the executable script
> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/CogVM/tmp/squeak and uses this as the
> VM. This way the CogVM is eating its own dog food by using the last
> successfully built "bleeding edge" version each time it runs.
>
> I think you can do something similar for your SqueakTrunkOnBleedingEdgeCog
> by having it use /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/CogVM/tmp/squeak as its VM.
>
> Files are at http://squeakci.org/job/CogVM. The compiled Cog VM from
> most recent successful build is in http://squeakci.org/job/CogVM/ws/tmp.
> The shell script that uses this VM is http://squeakci.org/job/CogVM/ws/makevm.
>
> Let me know if you want me to start saving the temporary VM in some other location.

Ah, OK. I'm only missing one thing then: I'd like Jenkins' failure
reports to be able to point at a particular version. Hm.
SqueakTrunkOnBleedingEdgeCog will run after CogVM, so perhaps we can
already have that: Jenkins will say STOBEC #N was triggered by CogVM
#M. I'll give that a whirl.

Thanks!

frank