[squeak-dev] Mine-able ideas?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Jan 3 01:26:25 UTC 2013

On 02-01-2013, at 4:15 PM, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> Do you have a reference to the sensible compiled method format? I think
> I recall some discussions on that topic, but I don't recall when or by
> whom.

I was thinking of the now-ancient 'NewCompiledMethod', going back to about 1997. The last I heard on the subject was about 5 years ago.
But..

> But really, what are we missing? We have CompiledMethodTrailer that appears to
> provide an infinitely extensible mechanism for inventing new kinds of source
> pointers.

… it reads as if that might provide the same result. Namely having the source pointer for each method be a proper oop, with all the obvious advantages over a weirdly encrypted 24bit number hidden within some bytes at the end of a byte array

tim
Document the code?  Why do you think they call it "code?"