[squeak-dev] Re: Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Thu Jan 3 02:07:44 UTC 2013

Chris,

Absolutely! ss3 will be supported "forever".

SS3 was put into production with alpha code. When ss3 was initially put on-line, the expectation was that we'd nuke the repository after getting feedback and identifying and fixing issues (there were a number of issues) ... I had also allocated time during that summer for bringing SS3 up-to-speed ... after some discussion with the parties involved, it was decided to hold off on ss3 development in favor of SmalltalkHub and the window for my time passed ... then SmalltalkHub was delayed and the decision was made to bring ss3 on-line as-is ... I again allocated time for bringing ss3 up to speed, but then Tobias was busy with his PHD and the window was missed again ...

Tobias has since finished a significant amount of development work of SqueakSource3 and I am the bottleneck for getting his bugfixes into production ...

SqueakSource3 does not have a robust test suite, so it is very time consuming to push a new version of SqueakSource3 into production ... weeks instead of days ... I am very worried about introducing new bugs into production ... the ones that are there are relatively benign:) ...

Dale