[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-fbs.510.mcz

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Thu Jan 3 14:35:30 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:16 AM, <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:

> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of System to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/System-fbs.510.mcz

> Name: System-fbs.510
> Author: fbs
> Time: 3 January 2013, 1:16:36.267 pm
> UUID: 70b86651-f357-4746-a017-5d231faf542c
> Ancestors: System-nice.509
>
> This seems like the proper post-Environment thing to do. It addresses
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7714.
>
>  However, the change needs careful thought: how does this affect
> DataStreams written out within one Environment and read in by another
> Environment? Can this only work between "equivalent" Environments and, if
> so, what exactly does "equivalent" mean?
>
> Right now, this change does away with the need for Environments-fbs.9
> (also in the Inbox), so applying it would make the ReleaseSqueakTrunk job
> work once more.

I suspect that the new binding protocol will have to address the
distinction between "all classes in an environment" and "all classes in the
system". This will be an issue with SystemNavigation, for example, where we
might want "environment senders" or "system senders". Things like
MethodReference will be affected too.

I wonder how DataStream deals with variable-word classes that get added
after the type map is initialized. Is this just an optimization for stuff
that ships with the image? Does it re-initialize somehow?

If it's just an optimization, the change above is fine. If it needs a
comprehensive type map to work correctly, we'll have to do something more
involved.

Colin