[squeak-dev] Squeak laptop advice

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Jan 3 14:42:26 UTC 2013

I'm about to have a two week vacation in Orlando, but would like to do
some Squeaking during that time. An option would be to take my current
laptop, which is an Apple G3 iBook. That is a bit heavy and slow by
today's standards, and since it can only run old VMs I would expect
(though I haven't tested) some problems with more recent images.

An alternative would be to buy a new machine, and in that case the focus
would be on Squeak. At the very low end are the Chromebooks and though
there are no VMs for them (as far as I know) I found out that it is
possible to install Linux on both the Intel (like the $199 Acer with a
1.1GHz Celeron) and ARM (like the $249 Samsung with a 1.7GHz Exynos 5)
versions. Though it seems that the ARM machine runs Linux a bit faster,
I imagine that Cog would be an option on the Celeron and so it might be
a better Squeak laptop.

Something that could be really interesting is a multitouch option, like
in the $499 11.6" Asus machine with a 1.4GHz Intel i3 processor. I don't
like that the operating system is Windows, but could certainly live with
that. Would a normal VM be able to pass the touch events to the image?
Without that, this hardware feature wouldn't be very useful.

Does anyone have any experience or tips to share?

-- Jecel