[squeak-dev] Re: Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 17:00:01 UTC 2013

On 3 January 2013 16:52, Dale Henrichs <dhenrich at vmware.com> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Where _do_ I spend my cycles? (you may ask)
>
> Working on opening up git/github to smalltalkers.
>
> github has over 1,000,000 users and 100+ folks work at github maintaining and developing the site ... How many full-time developers are there for SqueakSource3 or SmalltalkHub?
>
> Besides that, in my opinion, the combination of git/github is superior to anything we have.
>
> Finally, I believe that if and when the Smalltalk community adapts to git/github, Smalltalk as a development environment will become much more accessible to developers in general which can only be a good thing...

It's worth reminding people that filetree works just great as a
Monticello back end (and does so right now). When you're developing,
you're unaware that there's file system swizzling to a git repository.
And if you use Dale's builderCI version, you can hook up to Travis CI
and get continuous integration for free.

Gitocello too works great: the tradeoff is that filetree versions
semantic units while Gitocell versions chunk-format fileouts.

frank