[squeak-dev] Old browser experiments revisited

Bob Arning arning315 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 4 21:02:11 UTC 2013

Not really. I have *no* interest in my name appearing in conjunction
with "Copyright (c)." If someone declines to use my code for that
reason, so be it. The world is waaaay over-lawyered and I want to avoid
any action that even looks like contributing. This all seems rather
beside the point since there is no consideration about including this in
*the* Squeak image. Should that day ever arrive, feel free to assert the
copyright in your own name if that helps.

Cheers,
Bob

On 1/4/13 3:43 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:
> Bob,
>
> do you agree with this?
>
> It is the same license as all Squeak 4.n versions are licensed.
>

> It means that
>
> a)
> one can copy and change anything into an external Squeak package but
> has to include
>
> Portions (if not copied everything)
>
> Copyright (c) 1999-2012 Bob Arning
> and the license text
>

> b)
> It means that parts of your code may be included in Squeak 4.n without
> problems. In that case the author name would only be mentioned in the
> methods signatures.
>

> This is a formality but an important one.
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 1/4/13, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 4 January 2013 19:56, Bob Arning <arning315 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> On 1/4/13 2:37 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:
>>>
>>> Bob,
>>>
>>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28914094/BobsBrowser2.4.cs.gz
>>>
>>> files in fine into http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/Squeak4.4-12327.zip
>>> (= the release of 4.4)
>>>
>>> The attached screen shot shows the result after evaluating
>>>     BobsBrowser browseAllClasses
>>>
>>> (see class comment of BobsBrowser )
>>>
>>> Everything seems to work fine. Only that #beep was removed and now
>>>
>>> BobsBrowser>>
>>> doRecentMethodsMenu: buttonAndEvent
>>>
>>> 	| menuItems |
>>>
>>> 	menuItems _ self recentMethodsAsItems.
>>> 	menuItems isEmpty ifTrue: [^ self beep].
>>>
>>> cannot call it (click on the 'RM' button). A very minor thing.
>>>
>>> I think I will work with it in the next days to see how it goes.
>>>
>>> You will find more bugs in BobsBrowser as you go deeper. The work I have
>>> done in 4.3 was primarily linking the Driller to the multi-paned browser
>>> as
>>> in "Color bobsDriller"
>>>

>>> Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
>>>
>>> BTW do you (re)license this as MIT, i.e. the same license as Squeak 4.n?
>>>
>>> Not being a lawyer, I do not pretend to understand licenses. What I will
>>> say
>>> is:
>>> 1. I wrote this stuff.