[squeak-dev] RISC OS Pi in the workshop

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Jan 9 01:49:11 UTC 2013

On 08-01-2013, at 5:34 PM, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> Very cool, and nice to see Squeak running again on STINU (*). I have to ask - were
> you able to do this with an up to date VMMaker with closures etc? I confess that
> I was a bit worried that the various changes to VMMaker since the last RISC OS
> release would cause a real mess. Hopefully it was not too bad?

OK, this first go is a 3.9-ish VM for running up to a 4.0 image. Let's walk before we try to unicycle whilst juggling fusion powered chainsaws while blindfolded.

> I do think that it would be a sad injustice if the RISC OS community was deprived
> of the ability to run 64-bit Squeak images on Raspberry Pi. So I think you
> should try compiling with -D SQ_VI_BYTES_PER_WORD=8 and see if the resulting
> vm can run a 64-bit image like the one here:

64 bit doesn't make any real sense on an ARMv7 or below cpu; let's wait for the upcoming ARMv8 cpus which will eat intel alive.

tim
All the simple programs have been written, and all the good names taken.