[squeak-dev] All-in-ones

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jan 10 00:01:18 UTC 2013

On 09.01.2013, at 15:12, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'd also propose some initial startup magic that strongly advises immediately saving the image under a new
>> name so that the original stays clean. I'm not *completely *convinced that this is required since it ought to be
>
> I had the same thought when I made the first release-candidate with
> read-only image and changes file.  That way a reminder warning is
> produced on startup where the user can simply save as.  Intsead of
> this warning we could simply produce the Save As dialog box (but with
> the warning message) offering the user to simply enter their desired
> name and press Enter or click Cancel to not.

This is hard with the all-in-one because you would also have to specify a folder where to put the copied file.

And e.g. on Debian the inisqueak script actually copies the image+changes from /usr/share to your current directory IIRC. In that case, another copy would be superfluous.

We'll first have to get our story straight, then add magic if we still deem it appropriate.

- Bert -