[squeak-dev] All-in-ones

Ken G. Brown kbrown at mac.com
Thu Jan 10 00:10:28 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-09, at 5:01 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 09.01.2013, at 15:12, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'd also propose some initial startup magic that strongly advises immediately saving the image under a new
>>> name so that the original stays clean. I'm not *completely *convinced that this is required since it ought to be
>>
>> I had the same thought when I made the first release-candidate with
>> read-only image and changes file.  That way a reminder warning is
>> produced on startup where the user can simply save as.  Intsead of
>> this warning we could simply produce the Save As dialog box (but with
>> the warning message) offering the user to simply enter their desired
>> name and press Enter or click Cancel to not.
>

> This is hard with the all-in-one because you would also have to specify a folder where to put the copied file.
>
> And e.g. on Debian the inisqueak script actually copies the image+changes from /usr/share to your current directory IIRC. In that case, another copy would be superfluous.
>
> We'll first have to get our story straight, then add magic if we still deem it appropriate.
>
> - Bert -

I think the best way to do the story straight is to keep the releases separate. I really find distasteful the idea of a bunch of big files hidden in a Mac .app package in the interest of all-in-one, especially if it is Windows stuff.
I think if someone wants to easily be able to copy their stuff back and forth between platforms, it should be easy to throw a couple of separate platform downloads into a folder and subsequently move that folder.

Ken G. Brown