[squeak-dev] Raspberry Pi - A few questions about I/O

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 18:48:16 UTC 2013

On 10 January 2013 17:59, Chris Cunnington
<smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at the files recently released for running Squeak on RPi and I
> figure to do that I need the actual RPi. But I have a few questions about
> it.
>
> The Pi takes an SD Card. I need to order a NutPi from the Pi people, put it
> on the SD card, and slot it in? Or does the NutPi come on an SD card?

I suspect the NutPI comes _on_ an SD card. I bought one of the
recommended SD cards and slapped one of the Linux images on it. You
need to make the SD's partition bootable (or whatever the jargon is;
it's been a while since I've had to care about this kind of stuff).

> The image, changes, and sources would go on the same SDCard?

Yes: the SD's your Pi's hard disk.

> What's a good monitor and keyboard/mouse? It wants HDMI, and I don't see a
> jack on my Mac for that. I do think I see one on my Xoom tablet, so maybe I
> could use that. Is any screen recommended?

You can get a DVI/HDMI converter, if your current monitor's DVI. (I
just bought an el cheapo one off Amazon.)

> And the mouse/keyboard seems to have one USB jack. Is there a mouse/keyboard
> rig that uses only one USB jack? Instead of two?
>
> Does the Pi come with the power cable, or do I need to go to Bob's House Of
> Cables and get something specific?

Power cable not included. Any old USB power adapter will work. You
_can_ power it off anything with a USB socket (your laptop, your
desktop), and it might even work. If you have a powered USB hub lying
around, that would work fine.

> My justification for getting involved is that I think looking at how the vm
> is compiled and built for the Pi might be a little simpler to grasp than the
> panoply of files usually see that list every known operating system. If it's
> not, don't tell me. That's my justification for a new toy and I'm sticking
> to it.

Oh, totally. *cough*

frank