[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 4.4 Question

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 18:38:56 UTC 2013

On 16 January 2013 17:02, Yanni Chiu <yanni at rogers.com> wrote:
> On 16/01/13 11:12 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>

>> Fine, you're right, SqueakV44.sources being a copy of
>> SqueakV41.sources is a bit lame. If you like, the error is that we
>> didn't condense sources, and we should for every release.
>

> It's not clear that any error was made. The "plan" apparently was to
> condense sources "non-destructively". But, condense sources is destructive,
> at the moment. So, without doing the work to make it a non-destructive
> condense, then the only option was to do the same as before - which is to
> use SqueakV41.sources.

It's clear to me that I made an error :). There's no obvious link
between Squeak4.4-12327.zip and SqueakV41.sources. There could be if
there was a SqueakV4.sources, there could be if there was (as there is
now) a SqueakV44.sources. In general: I want a clear, obvious, trivial
mapping between a zipball and the sources file that goes with it. I've
worked around the issue in the CI builds by putting the
SqueakV1.sources in the repository with the image. Now's the time for
me to fix this, and make sure that the release process makes a zipball
called SqueakM.N-KKKK and a sources file called SqueakVMN.sources.gz.
This allows for the automated deployment of a bunch of stuff: to CI
environments today, and to Heroku tomorrow.

(It's supposed to be possible to deploy images without sources files.
I haven't been able to get this to work for me. That, too, would
satisfy me.)

>> Well. I would be fine with either a condense on a major release or a
>> minor release, if it was ALWAYS true. Consistency is the mother of
>> automation. But that's not where we are.
>

> SqueakV41.sources is an anomaly. That's where we're at. My original point
> was that introducing SqueakV44.sources as an "alias" name for
> SqueakV41.sources does not improve the current situation, IMHO.

It's an alias for 12327, sure. I don't want it to be an alias going
forward. I want it to be the actual proper sources file for the 4.4
releases. And when the next release comes out, and I delete
Squeak4.4-12327.zip, I'll delete the SqueakV41.sources and the alias
problem will disappear!

frank