[squeak-dev] Rectangle >> intersects: "degenerate case" -- *wrong* behavior??

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 21:08:19 UTC 2013

I understand how brittle it may seem...
But that's how #intersect: works, when there is no intersection, it
answers a Rectangle with negative width and/or height

So we have not that many options... (unless we go in tons of rewrites
and broken compatibility).
I took above feature as granted, rationalized the implementation
stating that rectangle with negative width/height is empty, and
documented it with SUnit TestCase
That's the minimum change that can possibly work.
I just was a bit too zealous, there is a thin line between empty and
empty, thanks for raising your voice, it's now corrected in trunk :)

If you change #origin:corner: to either answer a correct Rectangle or
raise an Error, you'll break #intersect: and maybe other senders who
knows...
There is a #vertex:vertex: creation message in Visualworks for exactly
that purpose...
In Squeak, it seems we never had the need/idea of it, but you can also
write it ^Rectangle encompassing: {vertex1. vertex2}.

Note that #intersect: #intersects: and #areasOutside: are essential
for Morphic redrawing for example...

Nicolas