[squeak-dev] SqueakCore

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 13:32:49 UTC 2013

On 12/30/12 10:35 AM, "H. Hirzel" <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/30/12, Pavel Krivanek <squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is the first unkempt attempt to produce SqueakCore image from
>> Squeak4.4-12324. It generates 3 MB dirty image (3.2 with Unicode
>> tables). Some overrides have only logging purpose.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- Pavel
>>

> Hello Pavel and others
>
> Thank you for your first attempt.
>
> I assume I have to file in first
>     patch001.st
>
> as it contains various dummy classes and fixes to existing classes.
> (DummyProject, DummyUIManager, ,.... ClassOrganizer, PointerFinder,
> ScriptLauncher, ...)
>

> However the attached error comes up and a debugger in method
>    primWrite: id from: stringOrByteArray startingAt: startIndex count: count
>
> of MultiByteFileStream
>
> This is on a Windows 7 machine with a recent VM.
>
> Could anybody else check the file-in of Pavel's patch001.st as well?

Sorry by the late answer, but only now have time to this.
With older Squeak 4.2.5beta1U do not run in Terminal, but if you change

stdout
^Stdout ifNil: [ Stdout := self newFileNamed: 'stdout']

See here:

http://squeakros.org/stdout

And run with UI, finish with a 3.3 Mb .image

If as in my case you do:

> /Applications/Cog.app/Contents/MacOS/Croquet -headless
> /Users/edgar/AtlantisSqueak/imagesZip/Squeak4.4/Squeak4.4-12386.image
> \/Users/edgar/AtlantisSqueak/imagesZip/Squeak4.4/patch001.st
> Atlantis:~ edgar$
> Atlantis:~ edgar$
> Atlantis:~ edgar$
> Atlantis:~ edgar$ /Applications/Cog.app/Contents/MacOS/Croquet -headless
> /Users/edgar/AtlantisSqueak/imagesZip/Squeak4.4/Squeak4.4-12386.image
> \/Users/edgar/AtlantisSqueak/imagesZip/Squeak4.4/patch001.st
> 2013-01-20 09:07:48.604 Croquet[789:903] Incompatible applications:
> app=com.squeak.Cog, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
> undeclared: DummyUIManager put: DummyUIManager
> undeclared: ScriptLauncher put: ScriptLauncher
> undeclared: ScriptLauncher put: ScriptLauncher
> undeclared: DummySystemProgressItem put: DummySystemProgressItem
> undeclared: DummySystemProgressItem put: DummySystemProgressItem
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4

Stops with Enviroments DNU removeKey:

But if you not use the last update

/Applications/Cog.app/Contents/MacOS/Croquet -headless
/Users/edgar/AtlantisSqueak/imagesZip/Squeak4.4/Squeak4.4-12327\ copy.image
\/Users/edgar/AtlantisSqueak/imagesZip/Squeak4.4/patch001.st

Happily gives you a 3.1 Mb image.

So we start to have a very valuable thing.

I try to made Pavel suggested changes and invite to all wishing a
SqueakKernel to share experiences and push our Board to have some.

I have plenty of confidence in Spoon, but life is short and fragile as we
learn the hard way.

In the time we wait for a Perfect Solution, we could have a Good Solution

Edgar