[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-edc.512.mcz

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 22:13:26 UTC 2013

> 3 timesRepeat: [ Smalltalk garbageCollect].

Doing this 3 times is superstitious. It won't clean up more than doing it
once.

IMHO an explicit GC is not necessary at all - what purpose does it serve?

- Bert -

About the 3 timesRepeat: [ Smalltalk garbageCollect], I see many times from
the past, but if Smalltalk garbageCollect is enough, is good to know.

Anyway , none of my cats is black and seeking for a horseshoe with seven
holes just in case.

On 1/21/13 6:12 PM, "Nicolas Cellier" <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com>
wrote:

> That was my first thought, ask Edgar whether the intention was for
> image production.
> And ask about the impact of such change onto every day update.
> But it seems it has the merit of uncovring some ghost dependents bug.

Well , I come from age when you just hit update image and not download a new
one each time.

If you don't clean the image, ends with 17 Mb instead 15 Mb.
I know disk space is cheaper this days...

But do not think this hurt any, maybe if the user user choose wish clean or
not is satisfactory to those who disagree ?

Edgar