[squeak-dev] re: SqueakCore

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Tue Jan 22 01:08:31 UTC 2013

Hi Edgar--

> Sorry by the late answer, but only now have time to this.

> I have plenty of confidence in Spoon, but life is short and fragile
> as we learn the hard way.

     It certainly is! We are all extremely fortunate to be here; every
moment is precious. From grief I draw strength to honor those no longer
with us, by living as fully as I can, in community with others.

     Like you, and all of us, I give time as I am able, and I'm grateful
for the time that others spend with me. I've been working with others on
Spoon, and I encourage everyone who has time to give to participate.

> In the time we wait for a Perfect Solution, we could have a Good
> Solution

     I agree what's happening now is good. I envision something better,
I've gotten much of the way there with the help of many, and perfection
is not a goal.

     While I do have a desired design in mind, I don't think perfection
is necessary, or even a healthy pursuit. My design came from a large
amount of first-hand experience, reflection on practical tradeoffs, and
discussions with actual and potential users. Regardless, one need not
wait: I would love to see more Spoon issues recorded on Mantis, more use
cases discussed on #squeak and #spoon on IRC, more comments on
Spoon-related blog postings, etc.

     For the entire time I've been working with Smalltalk, I've viewed
anything which clarifies the structural boundaries between bodies of
code as a good thing. That includes every module system and shrinking
approach applied to every Smalltalk system I've used. We can use the
knowledge gained from each of them to make every one of them better.

     In the case of Squeak, I would like to use what we've learned from
SqueakMap, Universes, and other artifacts from Squeak 1 through 4 to
compose modules with Naiad, Spoon's module system. I maintain my
intention to coordinate the creation of Squeak 5 this way. I like what's
happening in Squeak 4 in the meantime.

     thanks again,

-C

--