[squeak-dev] Squeak installation for the ignorant

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 14:27:08 UTC 2013

Will,

Thank you for asking. I realize that you use a Linux/Unix installation.

Problems like the ones you encounter prompted me to use the Squeak
All-In-One packages when working in Linux the last years.

On MSWindows the whole setup is comparatively straightforward.

You need to get the correct image/source file pair, a VM and the sources file.
As for 4.4. they are now all in the same directory

http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/

Will, as you write about 4.2 I assume you have not tried out the
installation with 4.4. yet.

I realize that David Lewis posts good instructions from time to time
how to compile a VM on Linux from the source. Maybe it is time to do
this again, David?

In any case the search keywords are
   How to build a standard Unix interpreter VM on Linux using a Squeak
trunk image

Regards
Hannes