[squeak-dev] squeak.org - next iteration

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jan 24 19:33:49 UTC 2013

On 24.01.2013, at 10:10, Chris Cunnington <smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://box3.squeak.org:8624/error
> There is a nascent error message.
>
> (If anyone is wondering about attribution for that image, I looked at the site it came from [1] and I do not see how it is supposed to be attributed. AFAICT, the maker has not indicated who they are or how they want to be attributed.).
> [1] http://www.officialpsds.com/Hole-in-Paper-3-PSD50497.html

It's great that you adopted my idea for the error page look. But it does not yet have that "ripped-open" feel, because in your version the inner shadows are missing, and the outer ones do not look smooth enough. Here are both for comparison again:

IMHO the error page should not have any of the frames but just a plain background and the hole in the middle (the nav bar is fine on top). And maybe 260 KBytes for an error image is a bit much? Mine is 20 KByte. I'm old-fashioned I guess, a quarter mega byte seems large to me ;)

As for proper attribution, a small-print footer in the lower right corner should suffice (e.g. "graphic based on artwork by AMENAZAGFX").

- Bert -

PS: Perhaps proving my point above, the first version of this email bounced due to excessive size. Had to rescale your image, and save as jpeg.