[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Multilingual-fbs.164.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 21:30:32 UTC 2013

On 2 July 2013 22:18,  <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Multilingual to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Multilingual-fbs.164.mcz

> Name: Multilingual-fbs.164
> Author: fbs
> Time: 2 July 2013, 10:18:42.84 pm
> UUID: 83457f26-4043-914a-b92d-8b34b4a2b37e
> Ancestors: Multilingual-fbs.163
>
> This nearly severs the Multilingual -> Morphic dependency.
>
> =============== Diff against Multilingual-fbs.163 ===============

The last remaining dependency is:

LanguageEnvironment class >> startUp
    self clearDefault.
    Clipboard startUp.
    HandMorph startUp.

I am stumped as to how to preserve this behaviour and sever the
dependency. Smalltalk at: #HandMorph is _not_ a solution. It makes
things worse because you hide the dependency, but it's still there,
ready to bite you at a random moment.

Inlining the above into Language class >> #startUp's call sites
seems... undesirable.

Perhaps a startup registry, and HandMorph's and Clipboard's
#initialize would say something like LanguageEnvironment
registerForStartup: self ?

Thoughts?

frank