[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Kernel-fbs.791.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 09:16:03 UTC 2013

On 17 July 2013 23:00, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 17-07-2013, at 2:15 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So I had expected that this would be sufficient to fix the update
>> stream. It's not. I issued a new config map specifying this version,
>> and it loads Kernel before Morphic (the problem package), and as far
>> as I can see we still have update stream problems. Someone help,
>> please?
>
> Wish I could - but it puzzles me, too. We may have to wait until Colin is available again

I'm taking the image that's in the squeak-ci repository and updating
it. That's not _terribly_ old. Maybe a few weeks out of date. (I could
go check, but it's all the way in the other tab...)

The problem arises when loading Morphic-fbs.663 from update-fbs.239.
At this point you get a walkback because Kernel-fbs.791 isn't loaded.
This contains the bugfix that lets you load a class with a nil
Environment, but of course it also includes all the changes between
Kernel-fbs.779 and -791. By the time you've started loading
Morphic-fbs.663 it's too late to try load Kernel-fbs.791. But you also
can't just load Kernel-fbs.791 before you start the update, because
the image hangs doing _something_, presumably because the other stuff
in the diff between Kernel-fbs.779 Kernel-fbs.791 requires other
packages to be loaded.

So what's next? One hack might be to quietly reissue update-fbs.239,
but (a) that's disgusting and (b) I'd always understood config maps to
be immutable and (c) it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I don't think I need an Environments expert, but I do need a
Monticello expert. Takers? Volunteers?

frank