[squeak-dev] Slider & ScrollPane want to compile code in odd ways if used

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jul 22 22:27:35 UTC 2013

Here's an oddity that crashed my system a few minutes ago. I was intending to take a look at how a Slider worked and so created one from the WorldMenu->new morph->alphabetical list route. I was asked to name its slot, something I've never seen before; so I accepted the suggested default. A lot of compiling went on. And on. Finally a Slider appeared on the display. It didn't do much, not even really sliding very well. I killed it; a lot of compiling went on; and on. And then it sat there not responding to anything until it seemingly tried to redraw at least some of the screen and died.

After restarting, I noticed the 'wantsSlot message and the small number of implementors and single sender. It appears to be very old code that is commented as if it was to be removed quickly. Only Slider, ScrollPane and TwoWayScrollPane respond 'true'; GeeMailMorph responds false, apparently redundantly since MorphicModel returns false as a default.

I can't see any hits on mantis nor swiki. What's this about?

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Die dulci fruere = Have a nice day