[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Exceptions-fbs.48.mcz

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 18:30:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> So the users of ProgressNotification live in these packages:  a
> Set(#'Morphic-ToolBuilder' #'Network-RemoteDirectory'
> #'Morphic-Support' #MonticelloConfigurations #'Morphic-Windows'
> #'System-Object Storage' #'System-Support' #'Collections-Abstract').
>
> The lowest common package out of this set is Collections.
> ProgressNotification _could_ move there. But I hesitate to do that
> because it just doesn't seem like a very Collection-y thing. Hence why
> perhaps I should have left ProgressNotification in Exceptions, even if
> it means that Exceptions has a grand total of one class.

I understand what you're saying about it not being a Collection'y
thing -- but one of the things that invariably leads to NEEDING to
know progress is enumerating a collection of items to perform a
long-running operation on each element, and that is how progress is
almost _always_ used.

Since nothing can be done in Smalltalk without the Collections
package, ProgressNotification is sure to be in a low-enough level
package that it will be available for anything else.

It's fine to just let it be in Collections.